Please post the offer-thanks!
The Friedrich Schiller University Jena is a clearly structured classical university with more than 18000 students. It is among the oldest and most traditional universities in Germany. In the DFG project “Cryptochrome photoreceptors in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: Versatility of functions and mechanisms” two positions of
Scientific staff members (65% Ph.D. positions)
are available at the earliest possible date.
Microalgae are key contributors to global carbon fixation. They use light as source of energy and/or of information for photosynthesis, for their behavior and developmental cycles as well as for the entrainment of their circadian clocks by light-dark cycles. Microalgae such as Chlamydomonas reinhardtii have developed a large variety of photoreceptors with new functions and properties. Four of them belong to the cryptochrome (CRY) family deriving from DNA repair enzymes, so called photolyases. They include a typical plant CRY (pCRY) as found in higher plants, an animal-like CRY (aCRY) as well as two DASH-like CRYs. In the past years, we started to examine the different CRYs (Beel et al., 2012, Plant Cell 24: 2992-3008; Petroutsos et al., 2016, Nature 537:563-566; Müller et al., 2017, Plant Physiol. 174: 185-201, Zou et al., 2017. Plant Physiol. 174: 1334-1347; Franz et al., 2018, Nucleic Acids Res. doi: 10.1093/nar/gky621) and aim to further characterize now their functions and mechanisms.
• Mechanism of the targeted degradation of aCRY during the sexual cycle
• Interaction partners of pCRY and their functions
• Examinations on the functions of the DASH-like CRYs
What we expect:
• Diploma or Master's degree in biology, biochemistry or a related subject
• The candidate should be highly motivated. Experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, photobiology and/or proteomics methods is desired.
• Very good English skills are expected.
• a top-level research environment
• attractive fringe benefits such as capital accumulation benefits, job tickets for reductions in public transport, employer-funded pension (VBL)
• University health promotion and a family-friendly working environment with flexible working hours
• The position will be financially supported according to TV-L (salary agreement for public service employees) till salary scale 13.
The employment is limited to three years. The positions are part-time jobs with 26 h per weak. Applications from physically handicapped persons will be considered preferentially in case of equal qualifications and suitability. Have we sparked your interest? If so, please send your application (cover letter, complete CV, all certificates and credentials as well as recommendation letters of your supervisors from previous research, publications) to the address below, preferably in electronic form as a single pdf file. Include the job number 252/2018. The application deadline is October 19, 2018:
Prof. Dr. Maria Mittag
Friedrich Schiller University Jena
Matthias Schleiden Institute of Genetics, Bioinformatics and Molecular Botany
Am Planetarium 1, 07743 Jena (Germany)
E-Mail: M.Mittag@uni-jena.de / Tel.: +49 (0)3641-949201/ FAX: +49 (0)3641-949202
Please send your documents only as copies as they will be destroyed at the end. Please consider applications hints on: www.uni-jena.de/stellenmarkt_hinweis.html and information on personal data under www.uni-jena.de/Universität/Stellenmarkt/Datenschutzhinweis